Friday 30 October 2015

Nanowrimo.

November is a month filled with the smells and tastes of fall. However, for a lot of people, myself included, it is a month filled with writing. Nanowrimo or National Novel Writing Month is an event that takes place all over the world, and people challenge themselves to write a 50 000 word piece of fiction in a month.

I have participated for so many years, but I have never won. But I have never wrote to win. This year, I am participating again. I did think about not participating, but reading about all of my friends planning their novels made me want to join them. So here I am.

The challenge is always a lot of fun, even if I have never won. It's a great way to push yourself, and actually come out with a first draft of a novel. Despite studying journalism, I have always wanted to be a novelist, and that is still the goal. I still want to make a living by writing, but I know that I need a side job.

As well, I want to do a blog post every week updating you with my nanowrimo progress. So on top of all of my other blog posts that I have been working on over the last few months. I'll be adding just a bit about my progress, with probably some tips and tricks along the way.

This years novel is a fantasy novel called All the Shattered Worlds. And is about young Kellan, prince of the fauns, who has become bored, and plain done with his life as a prince. He is forced to sit though boring diplomacy lessons, get married to some faun his parents picked out for him, while outside there is a conspiracy going on. Long extinct creatures are returning to their world, and humans are travelling into faun villages. After sneaking out to follow the humans on his quest for adventure, Kellan learns to be more careful what he wishes for. Trapped in the Lord's castle, Kellan meets Fyn the lords son. Fyn knows nothing outside the castle, and the little he does know is very distorted. It falls upon these two boys to save Kellan's people from human invasions and quest for power.

If you want to be buddies with me you can find me on the nanowrimo website here and search wanderingforestfairy.

I encourage everyone who loves writing to take this challenge. It doesn't matter if you hit the 50 000 words, you have more words than when you started.  I do want to create a secondary challenge for myself through the month of November. So, I am as well posting an image everyday on my instagram dictating my word count, and my goals.

If you are at all interested in seeing my word count, and challenging me to word wars, feel free to follow me @fairyprincebasil on instagram or at basil_boultbee on twitter. Happy writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment