Tuesday 27 October 2015

Dealing with Depression, and a bit of a personal update.

Through the last little while, emotionally things have been hard. Really hard. I suffer from depression that varies in severity, and anxiety that does the same. And for the last little while, I've been finding myself getting worse and worse. And I am not sure why. I just kind of shut down.

I wanted to write a post about dealing with depression and anxiety for a long time. Ideally when I was in a good mood, and when I was happy. But I cannot seem to get the need to make this out of my system. So here it is. Some simple ways to combat depression.

1. Go out.
I know this one is so hard. It's so difficult. But even just getting out of bed, and going to the kitchen for a bit can be enough. Ideally you want to go outside, and get some sunshine. Natural sunlight is so good for dealing with depression, so just sitting outside for a little bit can do wonders. As well, try and socialize. Even if it's just calling a friend, and talking about the weather. Human beings are social animals. We need to socialize.

2. Get some exercise.
Just a short walk, or some gentle yoga is perfect. You don't need to go to the gym and break a sweat, but if you want to do that, then go for it. But just get your body moving a little bit. It'll release the endorphins in your brain, and make you feel a little bit better.

3. Do something productive.
Even if it's just taking a shower, or doing the laundry. Something productive will help distract you from dark thoughts. And allow yourself that feeling of accomplishing something. No matter what you did it was something. And that something means everything.

4. Pamper yourself.
Watch a movie, eat some chocolate, take a bath. What ever you do to relax and make yourself feel good is what you should do. Even if that is just watching a funny movie.

5. Be Gentle with yourself.
Remember this, you are sick. With physical symptoms and everything. No, not everyone gets the mental illness side of things. But regardless, science says your sick. So don't be too frustrated with yourself, and don't push yourself too hard.

Mental illness is such a difficult thing to treat, because it's so different for so many people. So, I cannot guarantee that all of these will work for you. These are just a few things I do to make me feel better after a hard day.

No comments:

Post a Comment