Sunday 4 October 2015

Cosplay: What is it? Why I do it? And What am I working on?

Cosplay to put it in very basic terms, is Halloween anytime you want. It's the art of creating costumes, and even acting as a character. This art form has been around for quite a while, but I am not going to include any facts that you can easily find with a quick google search. Cosplayers spend hours, and sometimes even thousands of dollars to create beautiful costumes, and bring characters they love to life.

Cosplays have no limit to the creativity, you can dream it up, you can build it. I have always been interested in fashion, and sewing, and just dressing up. Putting on a costume always felt like I was putting on a different persona. I could literally be anyone. It was the same reason I fell in love with acting and writing. I had a chance to escape the hardships of life, and come back to them when I felt a little more energized and confident.

However, due to a lot of personal things, I did stop cosplaying for a number of years. I stopped wanting to make costumes, I stopped dreaming up different characters I could be. I stopped wanting to be a part of this amazing community. However, as of last year, that has changed. And in May of 2016 I am going to my very first convention here in the city: Anime North.

Anime North is a three day anime convention, with panels, fashion shows, workshops, art, and of course amazing cosplays. Usually when you go to an anime convention, you cosplay as anime characters. And though my love for anime is strong, cosplaying as an anime character is difficult. So I have decided to do cartoon characters instead.

The first cosplay, that I have already started is: Wirt from the series Over the Garden Wall. If you've read other blog posts, you'll know how much I love this series. And Wirt is one of my favourite characters. And his costume is super simple. Something I can create in a matter of a few hours.

The next character is of course: Mabel from Gravity Falls. Mabel is a bright bubble of sunshine. She is cute and into all things sparkly. Her costume is also very easy, and I have part of it already in my possession. Or at least something that will work. The only downside is I am going to be kinda hot in a sweater.

The final character isn't so much a character, but a j fashion coord inspired by a character as he is not human. But turning the coord into a cosplay wouldn't be hard. And the character is again from Gravity Falls: Bill Cipher. Bill is such an interesting character. He is evil without being scary, he is actually kind of charming. And there is so much mystery behind this character. This one will be the most work, but I do not need a wig for this one.

I will keep you updated mostly through instagram if you want to follow me @fairyprincebasil that would be awesome. My question for you is, if you are a cosplayer, why do you cosplay? And if you aren't what are some of your favourite characters from books, tv, movies ect?

No comments:

Post a Comment