Sunday 15 November 2015

On Writing A Memoir of the Craft audio book review.

A while ago I did a post about audiobooks, and my general feelings about them. If you want to read that post, you can read it here: link. And I decided that maybe I should do a review of an audiobook, and the one that I had was On Writing by Stephen King, and read by Mr. King himself.

This will probably be the only review I do on a Stephen King book. I do this because his books are so iconic, and most people know what his books are about, and you can easily find reviews on his books.  There is nothing I can really add to those reviews. But, I figured it would be interesting to do a review about this memoir. 

King writes about his personal life, particularly his writing life, and his teenage years. And he paints such vivid images of the movies he loved, and the world he grew up in. As well as his addiction, and some of the darker moments of his life. He doesn't talk too much about his books, but if you are familiar with his works, then you can pick up some of the inspiration. The more iconic books (Carrie, The Shining,) have a lot more detail about how they came to be. 

I really enjoy listening to Kings voice. He is calm, and clear. I have no idea if other memoirs are read by other people other than the author, but they should be read by the author. It makes it feel a lot more personal. 

The first half of the book, is a lot of autobiography, but when you get to the middle of it, then he talks about writing. I feel like his advice is such good advice. He compares the art of writing, to a tool box. And each part of the box is a different skill writers need to have. From grammar, and language structure, to style, and voice, to vocabulary. As a wannabe writer, I take his advice to heart. Especially his advice on talent, and where talent comes from, and the importance of reading a lot and writing a lot. He talks about practice isn't really practice if you love what you do. 

King's life is such an incredible thing to learn about. I don't want to spoil any of the book, but I will tell you, within the first chapter, you'll learn how weird his childhood was. His life is just super interesting, and has a lot of goofy moments.

This book does have a little bit of 'bad' language, if you are sensitive to that, just be aware.  When listening to the book, I could easily imagine him just kinda hanging out and telling me the story of his life. It's super casually written, and doesn't beat around the bush for any of the topics. It's very real, and I really enjoy that aspect of it. I don't know a lot about King's personality having never met him, but I feel like this book really reflects the personality I expect him to have. 

I really don't have a lot of complaints about this book. However, I still don't like the audiobook, but you guys know my feelings about audiobooks. I would totally get a physical copy of this book to read. I feel like I would get more out of the story if I am able to read it. But I feel like that's because I am very visual, and need to see things in front of me. 

I hope you guys have a wonderful day. What are some of the things you're reading or listening to? 

No comments:

Post a Comment