Tuesday 17 November 2015

5 Knitted Scarfs.

I've been thinking for a while now on ways to help people, and the different ways we do this. When I first came to the city, and even now after I've been here a few months, the sight of the homeless still tears at my heart. And I just want a way to help even one person. And I may have found a way to help even one person.

What I want to do is knit at least five scarfs before my winter break. I plan to go out to downtown, and just give one to each homeless person I see as like a Christmas gift of sorts. Winter here in Canada is cold, and the homeless have such a struggle keeping warm. This is one little thing I can do to help.

And this isn't a project I want to stop either. I want to continue it as my knitting gets better, and eventually knit a scarf, mitts, and hat set. Maybe even socks if I can manage to learn how to knit them. During the winter season, it's hard seeing people who have no where to go. And who are freezing. I don't care how they got to this place, as a compassionate person I want to help make their struggle a little easier.

I know I cannot help everyone on my own. And there are possible plans in the works to help keep something like this going. I would also love to be able to send things like this to Native reservations where they also have next to nothing. But those are in the possible far off future.

Knitting is a hobby I have grown to both love and hate. It's frustrating, and my hands hurt a lot. But at the same time, it's fun and I get to make something with my own two hands.

For now, I am going to start with just these five scarfs, and if the project gets bigger than awesome. I will of course let you know if my little project does get bigger. If it doesn't, even then I am happy with the knowledge that I have made ten people just a little bit warmer. And hopefully made them feel a little less hopeless.

If you have a shelter in your area, or something, please ask them what you can do to help. A little goes a long way. Things like socks, toothbrushes, sanitary pads, little things like that can make a huge difference in someone's life. You don't have to give a lot, just a little. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment