Tuesday 19 January 2016

Bookish Pet Peeves.

Alright, so I've been seeing this on youtube a lot, and it's book people ranting about things either authors do, or book publishers do. And I wanted to make my own little list. So I chose five things that authors do, book publishers do, and as well readers do that just irk me. And just as a warning, this is a very rant-y post. And all of these things are just personal for me, and if you don't agree with them well that's your opinion.

1. Instalove/love triangles.
YA gets a huge reputation for having this. All of the characters fall in love instantly, and I understand that a book can only be so long, but at least have the characters have one conversation before falling in love. The useless love triangle thing just makes me mad. I've seen it done well in some occasions, but it's usually when the girl has her eyes already set on a man, and there is another dude falling in love with her as well. That I am okay with so long as she isn't stringing the other guy along, but I really don't care to read about what guy a girl is going to choose. To me, I find that a little bit sexist for lack of a better term. I'm sure in some dystopian novel this girl has more important things to worry about than what guy she is going to be with. Or a guy for that matter.

2. Reading plays like novels.
Alright, so I see this all the time with young people and Shakespeare. Plays are not novels! Plays yes can be read and enjoyed, but that's not where the medium thrives. You cannot expect a play to have all of the action of a novel. Plays are very much a visual medium and they combine so many different elements, from dance to music, to visual art, you cannot include all of that in a script. That's the directors job to make most of the creative decisions. As well, plays can't have "filler scenes" like novels do. Audiences get bored. And it drives me crazy when people read a play and expect it to be like a novel.

3. Dust Jackets.
When it comes to cover changes and stuff like that I'm generally pretty laid back. I mean, no they don't match, and I think it looks cool when books are different heights. But the one thing that makes me really mad is dust jackets. I know they are meant to protect your expensive hard cover book. I get that, but they are still so annoying. Especially when I am trying to read, and the dust jacket is slipping off. No, just no. It's why I prefer paper backs. I don't want to have to adjust the book every time it slips. No thank you. And if I take off the dust jacket, I usually loose it, or it gets creased or something, and it's just a lot of no.

4. Reading elitists.
Now, for me I feel like this can go both ways. It's more common to see those who read classics to shun those who read YA fiction. But I've experienced the exact opposite most often. And I think that's because of the level of popularity for YA books. But anyway, if I had a penny for every time I was called pretentious, or a nerd, or asked if I was only reading a book for school, I would be able to pay off my student loans. I like classics. That's the end of it. And yes, people can read classics for the sake of just enjoying a classic.

5. Romance for the sake of romance.
Alright, so you know you're sitting and enjoying an awesome book, with kick butt action, and huge problems that need to be solved, and then all of a sudden, romance. No. Just no. I'm sure when the world around a character is falling apart around them, the last thing they have on their minds is romance. And to make more annoying for me personally, is the fact that it's all straight couples. As someone who isn't straight, it just grinds my gears. I feel like I saw this a lot in Sarah J Maas's book Throne of Glass. That romance, love triangle thing did not need to be there. In some instances I'll allow it, but most of the time I just get annoyed.

So that was a long rant about books. I really want to make more book related content. So if you enjoy stuff like that, then you're in for a real treat! Let me know some of the things you dislike about books.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all of your points! As for no. 2, I was put off Shakespeare in high school because we just read through the script, and without the visuals, I didn't understand what was going on. It wasn't until I saw a movie version that I could follow the story.
    I might get shot down in some quarters for saying this, but I actually think that Manga Shakespeare is a really awesome way of reading it if you can't go and see live theatre for whatever reason.
    xx Katie

    ReplyDelete