Sunday 14 February 2016

The Martian Review.

Alright, so I flipped back and forth as to whether or not I wanted to do a review of this book, and I decided I totally should. I have a lot of feelings and thoughts about this book. So let's get stared.

In a nutshell the book is about Mark Watney, a botanist, and an engineer who gets stuck alone on Mars. And the book follows his fight to survive Mars, and get back to Earth.

Now, I listened to this book on audio, and I really think that helped me actually be interested in the book. If I would have read it as a paper back, I think I would have been bogged down with all of the math, and the numbers. There is a lot of science that I didn't understand, but I'm sure there are people who do understand the science, I'm not one of them.

However the book is very good at not info dumping. So the author doesn't throw a lot of numbers or a lot of science at you. There is a little bit, but the book would have lost a lot without the math.

What I didn't expect is for the book to be as funny as it was. I found myself laughing out loud at a lot of the things that came from the book. And yes there are some very dark moments, those moments quickly have something funny following so the reader isn't too depressed.

As a kid I was always interested in space, and this book is just super interesting to read. From what I have read about the book, the author did a lot of research into the workings of NASA, and space travel. Even if it isn't accurate, it's interesting to read especially if you are into space travel.

This is a book I went in, having little to no idea what the book was about. I knew it was about a guy stuck on Mars. But there is a lot more as well. The book talks about his relationships with his other crew mates, and the complex plans to get him back to Earth, and the incredible things he had to do to survive.

This is a very modern survival story, that is rooted in science. And I loved every moment of this wild ride. It was witty, and smart, and I was never bored.

The narrator also did a very good job of capturing Mark, and now I'm not sure I can see the movie. Simply because what I imagine Mark to sound like is already ingrained in my head. There is a down side to R.C Bray's reading, and that is he is terrible at accents. There are characters who are Asian, and German, and other ethnicities, but he just cannot do accents at all. But still, it was an incredible experience to listen to him read.

I would highly, highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in science, and space travel.  As well as for people who just want something a little different to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment