Sunday 7 February 2016

Princess Jellyfish Review.

Our quirky cast of characters
Alright, so I like to be able to have background noise for when I’m working on stuff. Usually the background noise is audio books, or podcasts, but lately it’s been anime, and tv shows. So, I’ve been getting through short series quite quickly. One of those series was Princess Jellyfish. 

Princess Jellyfish is about a woman Tsukimi who lives in what her and her housemates call ‘the nunnery’. They are a bunch of otaku (nerd) women who live together, and are safe to obsess over their chosen thing. In the case of Tsukimi, it’s jellyfish. One day she goes to talk to the jellyfish at a local pet store, and she finds that there are two jellyfish in the tank that shouldn’t be put together. With bad social anxiety it’s difficult for her to tell the shop keeper to switch the tanks. 

After the make over. 
However a beautiful woman comes and saves the day, and our main character ends up buying the jellyfish. In the morning she finds out that this beautiful princess who saved her is actually a boy. And her adventure with Kuranosuke begins. 

This series is so cute, and so sweet. It’s all about being yourself, but letting your best beauty shine though. It isn’t about changing yourself to suit other peoples standards. Yes almost all of the otaku characters go through a bit of a makeover. But they always change back into the clothes they are most comfortable in. 

This is a super short show, and my biggest complaint is it left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I expected a lot more from the last episode and there were a lot of things that were just kinda left ignored and unanswered. I’m all for open endings, but this one lacked the big finale thing that I was looking for. All in all the series was amazing. 

Our pretty anime boy. 
The characters are all quirky in their own ways. And you find yourself finding you identify with the characters passion for the things they love. It’s also really nice to see characters that aren’t conventionally attractive, and have major social issues, and social anxiety. I love anime, and series that challenge the stereotypes a little bit. 

My favourite character was Kuranosuke, our cross dresser. He is spoiled, a little bratty, but his heart is in the right place most of the time. And he makes real friends with these crazy otaku woman even though he isn’t allowed to be a boy when he’s with them. Kuranosuke doesn’t let his families dislike for his clothing style get the best of him either. He wears his wigs, and heels with pride and confidence. And it’s something I adore about this character. Plus he looks smoking as a girl. 

The animation is stunning in this series. And I think I say that about everything I watch, but it’s true. I am drawn to beautiful animation, and this show does not disappoint. The jellyfish anim
ation is really what caught my eye. They look so beautiful floating around in the tanks. I so badly wish there was a second season of the anime. 


This is another series that I highly recommend everyone watch. I hope you all have a wonderful day and I’ll see you next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment