Thursday 24 September 2015

The Catcher in the Rye 101.

As I was finishing The Catcher in the Rye, I knew I wanted to write some sort of blog post about it. However, my challenge was in deciding if it was a book review, or a book discussion. As I am typing this, I realize I want this to be a little bit of both. So I am calling it The Catcher in the Rye 101.

The Catcher in the Rye is about a young boy named Holden Caulfield who has been kicked out of yet another school. Not much after that happens. Holden bums around New York City talking to various different people from various different point of their own lives.

This book is usually forced upon students in English class, so I can see why many don't like it. I however enjoyed it. It wasn't my favourite book of all time, but I still really liked it. Holden is at a stage in his life where he trying to come to terms with growing up. A theme that all of us I assume can relate to.

Holden doesn't know what he wants to do with his life, he doesn't know who he is, but all around him, everyone has everything all figured out. And he does not like it. I personally feel like Holden is one of the most relatable characters. We all have had feelings of being scared of being a failure, and not living up to the expectations put upon us.

Even though there isn't a lot of action in this book, the people that Holden meets, and talks to all give the reader a feeling of normality. It all feels like Holden is just going about his day, and we as the reader are along for the ride. It's a nice feeling to read something, and know in the back of your head that something huge isn't coming. But at the same time, the book does have a lot of slow elements to it. I found myself asking "who cares" at several points through the book.

So, do I recommend The Catcher in the Rye? Yes, I do, but I recommend it with an air of caution. Do not go into this book with huge expectations for profound realizations during your first read through. The Catcher in the Rye is a book that you do need to read more than once. But each time you read it, you do get something different out of it.

If you are interested in going more in-depth in themes, symbols, and the background, check out John Green's crash course videos about this book. Crash Course The Catcher in the Rye Part 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment